Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Four weeks. . .


ago. . . at this time (11ish am). . . I was sitting in Labor and Delivery with my mom. . . waiting patiently for Dr. Nolfi to come along and break my water. We just chatted about everything and nothing at all. Very nice. . . relaxing. . . something I missed when I delivered Jack and Luke. . . Sam was out having a quick lunch with the boys and Nan and PapPap.

Dr. Nolfi arrived around noonish. . . and I had progressed to a 4.5 to 5 cm ("Is that all?" I said. . .because I came to the hospital at about 3.5 and had been on pitossin since 8 am.). I knew it would be all over once he broke my water. . .and it was. . .I requested my epidural right away. . .but waited 40 agonizing minutes for the anesthesiologist to arrive. . . Sam arrived shortly after Dr. Nolfi finished breaking my water. . . and we breathed. . . and breathed. . .and breathed. . . Somewhere in there I cried (thinking I could never make it. . .) and the nurse came with something for my IV. . . something that made me feel a little tipsy. . .and don't you know my epidural came 5 minutes later. . .

After my epidural I lay on one side for 20 minutes. . . still breathing. . . 20 minutes on the other side. . . And suddenly I had progressed from 5 to 10 in a little over an hour. . . and it was time to push. After pushing through 2 sets of contractions they found the cord wrapped around his neck. . . Very scary. . . He quickly snipped the cord from around his neck (no cries from a little blue baby) and I pushed him out in two more sets.

It's all a blur from here. I saw him very quickly before he was wisked away. . . and he cried about 5 minutes later. . . He had such blue little hands and feet. . . But he was fine.

And I can hardly believe it's been 4 weeks already.

I remember crying the night we brought him home and put him to bed. Afraid I would wake in the night and find him gone. . . But he has reminded me each and every night since (several times each night). . . that he's here. . . and he's not going anywhere. . .

No comments: