Wednesday, September 10, 2008

rainy tuesday. . .


Jack home from school today. . . The nurse called me on my cell on Monday, saying Jack had a stomach ache and wanted to come home. She tried to convince him to stay for lunch, but he wasn't being convinced.

So I talked to him on the phone. . . and I could feel his discomfort. . .

And he really doesn't complain about his stomach hurting unless he's going to throw up.


Which he did. . . after I picked him up and we arrived home.

Right beside the sidewalk.


Poor him. He slept most of the day with a fever.

And awoke this rainy Tuesday not feeling quite right, and not wanting to eat.

So the boys and I spent this rainy day together. On the new couch, with the window cracked a bit beside us. And we watched toons together while we could hear the quiet rain outside. . . the breeze so cool, refreshing. . . whispers of fall. . .


And in a career-driven world. . . where much of my worth to people who don't really matter hinge on my job title and the size of my paycheck. . .


This is what really matters. As Sam reminded me on the phone. My voice of wisdom.


Aren't you glad that you can be the one to pick him up from school? To stay with him when he is sick?



And here. . . these quiet moments together. . . singing the Spongebob song on the couch as it continues to spatter rain. . . these are the moments that truly matter. . .

No comments: