Thursday, June 12, 2008

the gift of a day. . .

My body clock is urging me that today is Friday. . .although the calendar insists it is still only Thursday. Anxious for vacation? Ready for a different pace of our days. . . I'm not sure. The only thing I know is that it remains Thursday, no matter how much I am convinced otherwise.


As I sat on the porch with Max (who was supposed to be going outside. . .but instead lay in the warm sand watching the world go by. . .), I happened to catch a peek at the sky. . . so deeply blue. . . Bluer than my memories hold. . .

Awe. . . Moved by the beauty and simplicity of a summer's day.

A gift of a whole day. A day more than my body thinks it has. . . A day to embrace nature's beauty. Feel the summer's breeze. Delight in the boy's laughter. . .and silliness. . .

I called Jack outside to see this blue. And we watched it together. . . so still. . . only the sounds of little blackbeard in the neighbor's tree. . . He who sang to us every morning as we waited for the school bus together. . .

And he decided to stay outside for a while. Joining Max in the warm sand. Embracing our extra day, I relented. . .and he played outside in his pj's. . .JJs we called them as he grew. . .

Luke joined us minutes later. Happy to leave his beloved Super Readers and join his brother outside in the sand. . . Our little taste of the seaside.




So, I will pack a little more. . .and clean up a bit. . .
But, mostly:
I will feel the breeze as it blows in the windows. . .listen to the birds sing as they balance the wires outside our home. . . I will pause with Max outside just a little longer. . .smelling our summer blooms. . . and greet this gift of a day. . .

No comments: