Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the bank of the Tooth Fairy. . .


He has been carrying around the tooth fairy's six quarters for days now. . . And, as all little things do these days, they end up in his mouth (ugh!).
.
The Mama in me screams and faints dead away at seeing this (she's stuck in the Victorian days, what can I say). . . Calmly: Jack, please take the money out of your mouth.
.
Why?
.
Because it's money. It's dirty! [All right, now I'm beginning to visibly shudder.]
.
But the Tooth Fairy brought it.
.
Yes. . .but it's still money, and it's still dirty.
.
But the Tooth Fairy made it. So, it's clean.
.
[Stymied. . .] Well, actually, the Tooth Fairy doesn't make money. If she did, she would be a counterfeiter and she would be in jail.
.
Why?
.
Because it's illegal to make money.
.
Why? Why can't you make money? Why can't you make dollars and coins.
.
And the logical person in me says, because you just can't. . .
.
Because the Tooth Fairy is not allowed to make the money. . . And I knew that they questions would follow of exactly where did the money come from. . . Is there some kind of government funding for the Tooth Fairy? A Tooth Fairy tax? Does she withdraw these quarters from the bank? . . . .
.
And it just doesn't seem enough. . . And, of course, it's not enough. He always wants to know exactly why. . . And I always feel like my explanations fall short. . . So I quickly change the subject to Legos, and I'm off the hook. . . for now. . .

No comments: