Friday, October 16, 2009

Broken. . .



Over two weeks ago, Sam was involved in a six car smash on the Parkway on the way to Pitt to do some work. . . I was on the phone with him at the time. . . chatting about the day: laundry, dinner, the everyday. . . He's stopped in traffic. . . Waiting. . .

And I suddenly heard noise. . . like he had rolled his window down and the rush of air and traffic was overwhelming the phone and my ear. . .

And then he said, I was in a wreck, I'll have to call you back.

Are you OK?

Yes. I'll call you back.

And I waited an eternity. My belly agonizing with Braxton Hicks in my anxiety. Pacing the floor; willing the phone to ring. Tears. And a million thoughts. . . a million what-ifs. . . Bringing back August from three years ago when he was crashed into on the back roads, just moments from our home. . .totalling our purple Sunfire. But, the Parkway. . . that had to be so much worse.

Six cars.

A dump truck speeding along 35 to 40 miles an hour. . .never stopping. . .who smashed into the back of a Verizon van. . .who swerved to miss the woman in front of him, clipping her bumper instead (and taking so much momentum out of the accident, I believe). . .she spun into the guardrail and the car in front of her. . .the older couple, and their prize winning Dachshund. . .they crashed into the back of Sam. . .who crashed into the SUV in front of him. . .

And our blue car. . .only three years old. . . broken. . .

Over $6000 worth of damage. And in the garage for a little over two weeks. And waiting to be picked up today.

And I am reminded that although it was our new car. . . one of our best we've had. . . it's still just a car. Just a thing. And how much worse it could have been. And how truly blessed we really are.


Broken in other respects. That way you glance around in traffic now. Looking for bigger trucks. And shuddering when they fly past with little regard to the traffic around them. Gone is that complacent feeling of just jumping in the car and driving. That tomorrow is always there, coming as quietly as today. That or not. . . what if . . . lingers. Pacing the floors in the back of my mind, cagedly uneasy. Touching each moment, each thought.

A not so subtle reminder that today, each moment, is so very important. To be cherished. To be grabbed, and lived.



No comments: