Tuesday, May 13, 2008

in the a.m. . . .

we walked into the morning mist. . .
strange to see spring
cuddled under this
soft white blanket. . .

a slight chill
that the puppies
took little notice. . .
eager eyed since
alarm's ring at 6 a.m. . .
and I stumbled, clinging
to my cocoon of
warm, lingering dreams. . .

I wake as we walk. . .
finding the day's details
overlooked:
two newspapers, green and red,
waiting to deliver
the world's . . . . . . . . .
the dryer vent
a black pipe far from the bushes. . .
I breathe in
smiling memories
of youth that I can't quite
hold in my hand. . .
triggered and as quickly gone. . .
a car warming. . .waiting. . .
anticipating a day of adventure. . .

and another dog walker. . .

a treasure:
half a robin's shell
blue. . .deep as the carribbean. . .
fragile and discarded. . .
forgotten, for a new life

and a baby robin. . .
miles ahead. . .
huddled against the curbside. . .
almost passed unnoticed. . .
and I stop. . .
holding my breath. . .
considering. . .
and he shivers. . .
and above me warnings from
his mama. . .
relived I whisper
a hope
. . .pushing ahead
feeling the day's pulse ahead. . .

climbing a mountain towards home
we slow. . .
a day waiting. . .
can we
end the adventure

when we might walk and walk and walk
finding ourselves
lingering before the starting line

No comments: